Table of Contents
Last Updated: November 2017
Sleep is so important. It impacts your overall health and well-being in a myriad of ways, and the type of mattress you sleep on directly impacts the quality of sleep you will actually get. Unfortunately, far too many people are sleeping on mattresses that they just don’t find comfortable. This means that they aren’t getting the type of rejuvenating sleep that they truly need in order to feel well rested and to function at their absolute best.
If you are someone who enjoys a softer, plusher mattress, yet you are sleeping on a mattress that is too firm, it’s time to start thinking about shopping for a new one. Unfortunately, so many of the mattresses that are available today are designed to be firm, which means that finding a mattress that offers you the softness you are looking for can be a bit challenging.
If you are on the market for a soft mattress, you have come to the right place! We have done extensive research and tested out countless mattresses, and we are happy to inform you that we have found five mattresses that we are confident will suit you just right in the softness department and will deliver an outstanding night of sleep.
*5 Star Rating: this is based on the percentage of consumers who rate the mattresses 10/10.
Cocoon by Sealy
As one of the most trusted names in the mattress industry, Sealy makes a wide range of products that are designed to accommodate the specific needs of all sleepers. If you are on the market for a mattress that delivers a soft, plush feeling, then the Cocoon mattress by Sealy is an ideal choice for you.
Comprised of three separate layers that that create a mattress that is a total of 10 inches thick, the Cocoon offers exceptional softness, yet this softness does not compromise the support that it offers. The breakdown of the three layers is as follows:
- The top layer – This layer of the Cocoon mattress is made of 2 inches of memory foam. This is the layer that provides the initial comfort when lying on the mattress. It is also responsible for providing the softness that the mattress is famed for. Additionally, the memory foam provides pressure relief, helping to eliminate the development of pain in key areas, including the neck, the back, the shoulders and the spine.
- The middle layer – Made of 2 inches of transitional poly foam, the middle layer of this mattress serves as both the support layer and the transitional layer. It provides additional support for the body, and it transitions the sleeper from the soft memory foam of the top layer to the denser foam of the bottom layer.
- The third layer – The third and final layer of the Cocoon mattress is made of 6 inches of high-density base foam. This layer serves as the base of the entire mattress. It also works to provide deep compression support, further eliminating the buildup of pressure in the sleeper.
In regard to the cover, you have two options: a basic cover or a Cocoon Chill cover. The basic cover is pretty simple. It’s a poly-cotton blend and is soft, durable, stretchy and breathable. The Cocoon Chill cover features a phase change material, which makes it cool to the touch and absorbs body heat. It is also stretchy, soft and durable.
Below is our final score of the Cocoon mattress based on multiple criteria that we use when testing all of our mattresses.
We also found the Novosbed to be a soft, plush mattress. Made of a total of three layers that combine to make a mattress that is a total of 11 inches thick, the Novosbed is not only soft but offers the support that is needed in order to keep your spine in proper alignment and provides pressure relief. The three layers of the Novosbed mattress are made of the following materials:
- The top layer – Made of two inches of Airflow memory foam, the top layer provides the mattress with its initial softness. It also draws heat away from the body and circulates it out through the mattress, making it high breathable and ensuring the mattress remains cool. This layer also helps to prevent pressure points between the body and the mattress.
- The middle layer – In the middle of the Novosbed mattress is a layer of 2 inches of ultra dense memory foam. This layer offers the mattress a balanced level of support, in addition to deep compression support, thereby making the mattress soft, yet providing the support that is needed to prevent too much sinkage that can lead to pressure buildup in key points of the body, including the back, the neck, the shoulders and the spine.
- The bottom layer – The final layer is made of 7 inches of support foam. This layer supports the top two layers of the mattress so you can enjoy the softness, the comfort and the support that they provide.
The three layers of this mattress are encased in a cover that is made of a blend of polyester, silica, modacrylic and lyocell. It is super soft and thin, which makes it breathable; however, it is also stretchy and very durable.
Below is our final score of the Novosbed mattress based on multiple criteria that we use when testing all of our mattresses.
The Saatva mattress is another option that you might want to consider if you are looking for a soft mattress. This company has taken the key elements of the highest quality mattresses and combined them to make a super luxurious mattress that is soft, plush and supportive. This mattress is made of four separate layers that are that come together to create a mattress that is a total of 14.5 inches thick. The breakdown of this mattress is as follows:
- The top layer – On the top of this mattress is a Euro pillow top. This layer provides the mattress with extra cushioning and padding than traditional pillow top mattresses and gives the Saatva a really plush and luxurious feel.
- The second layer – Next is a layer of high-quality memory foam. This foam provides pressure relief and helps to reduce the stress and tension that is often experienced in the lower back when sleeping on a soft mattress.
- The third layer – The third layer of the mattress is made of individually wrapped coils. These coils respond to the unique contours of your body shape and weight, ensuring that you have the support that you need to get a restful night of sleep.
- The base layer – The final layer is made of tempered steel support coils. This layer increases the durability of the mattress and gives it extra bounce, adding to the comfort and the softness that the Saatva mattress is famous for providing.
Another element that makes this mattress stand out is the dual perimeter edge support system. This foam edge prevents sagging and provides exceptional edge support for the mattress. Additionally, the cover is made of a soft, lightweight and durable poly cotton blend, which further adds to the softness that the mattress provides.
Below is our final score of the Saatva mattress based on multiple criteria that we use when testing all of our mattresses.
The makers of the Helix mattress have been in the mattress industry for more than three decades, and they have perfected the art of making mattresses with their specially designed Helix. What makes this mattress truly unique and sets it apart from all of the other options that are currently on the market is that it is customized to your specific needs. The manufacturers actually have you fill out a questionnaire before ordering your mattress, which includes questions regarding your weight, your firmness preference and whether or not you share your bed with someone else. They then build the mattress based on the answers that you provide.
The materials used in the Helix mattress are the highest quality and include four separate layers that add up to create a total height of 10 inches. The materials include:
- 2 inches of high-grade Dunlop latex
- 5 inches of pocketed spring micro coils
- 2 inches of Helix Dynamic foam and polyfoam
- 4 inches of Helix Dynamic foam and polyfoam
Though all mattresses created by Helix contain these materials, the actual location of where they can be used in the layers varies from mattress to mattress. That’s because each of these materials offers different properties and they are placed according to the information you indicate in the questionnaire. The location of each material is placed according to the four pillars that are set forth by Helix. These four pillars include:
- Feel – This indicates the firmness of the mattress, or how hard or soft it feels.
- Point elasticity – Point elasticity refers to the impact of the surrounding points of the mattress when a single point is compressed. In other words, it determines how the mattress will contour and respond to your body.
- The support – This indicates the support that the mattress will provide for your body in order to ensure that your spine is kept in proper alignment. Your weight, height and the position that you sleep in will be used to determine the amount of support you will need.
- Temperature regulation – This determines how cool the mattress will remain when you are sleeping.
The four layers of the Helix mattress are held together by a cover that is made of 100 percent polyester. It’s lightweight, breathable and soft to the touch.
Below is our final score of the Helix mattress based on multiple criteria that we use when testing all of our mattresses.
LUCID Gel Memory Foam Mattress
Last but not least, we think that the LUCID Gel Memory Foam Mattress is an ideal choice for people who enjoy sleeping on a soft mattress. LUCID is a highly respected name in the mattress industry, as they create products that are designed to meet the needs of all sleepers. Their Gel Memory Foam Mattress is specially designed to offer a soft sleeping surface; it’s soft, yet there is enough firmness to prevent you from feeling as if you are falling into the mattress.
The LUCID Gel Memory Foam Mattress is comprised of three separate layers that combine to create a total thickness of 14 inches. Each of these layers is constructed with the highest quality materials, which includes:
- The top layer – On the top of the LUCID Gel Memory Foam Mattress is 1 inch of bamboo charcoal memory foam. This is the layer of the mattress that provides it with its soft, plush feeling. It contours to the body, creating a cradling feeling that makes you feel like you are surrounded by a comfortable hug. The memory foam also helps to provide pressure point relief and is highly breathable, which helps to keep the surface of the mattress cool.
- The middle layer – In the middle of this mattress is a layer of 3 inches of gel-infused memory foam. The memory foam helps to provide further comfort by offering, even more, pressure point relief and cradling support. The gel infusion pulls heat away from the body and circulates it throughout the mattress so that you can remain cool throughout the night.
- The base layer – On the bottom of this LUCID mattress is a 9-inch layer of high-density support foam. This layer supports the top two layers and helps the mattress retain its shape. It also provides deep compression support, further aiding in the comfort that the mattress provides and ensuring an even more restful night of sleep.
The LUCID Gel Memory Foam Mattress is wrapped in a cover that is constructed of a combination of TENCEL and polyester. The TENCEL wicks moisture away from the body, improves circulation and provides more coolness for this mattress. The polyester makes the cover more durable. This cover feels soft to the touch and further enhances the comfort that the mattress provides.
Below is our final score of the LUCID Gel Memory Foam Mattress based on multiple criteria that we use when testing all of our mattresses.
If you are on the market for a soft mattress, you can’t go wrong with one of the five mattresses listed above in this buyer’s guide. We thoroughly tested each mattress and can honestly say that they all provide a wonderful level of softness, yet the support that they provide is not compromised because of the plush feeling; they are as supportive as they are soft. With one of these mattresses, you will certainly enjoy a more restful night of sleep.