Last Updated: November 2017
If you’re thinking about buying a new mattress, there’s no doubt that you want to get the best mattress you can find; something that will offer you the right level of support and comfort and will last for years to come. Two of the most popular mattresses on the market right now are Nectar and Casper. Both are a bed-in-a-box, which means that they ship directly from the manufacturer to the consumer. While this certainly makes buying easier, it can make it difficult to tell which mattress will best meet your needs. To find out, we offer you a comprehensive review and comparison of both.
|Memory Foam||Medium||$500 - $900|
|Poly Foam + Memory Foam||Medium||$550 - $1,150|
As one of the newest mattresses on the market, Nectar’s popularity is growing quickly. The makers of the mattress have more than 15 years of combined experience and they used the latest scientific research, as well as data they collected from sleep trials in order to design a mattress that offers great support and comfort. The Nectar mattress has a universal feel, which means that it is designed to meet the needs of the majority of people, no matter their size or the position that they enjoy sleeping in. Made of four different layers of the highest quality foam materials, the Nectar mattress is designed to sleep cool, relieve pressure point build-up, provide deep compression support, and keep the spine in proper alignment.
This mattress first came onto the scene in 2014, and it quickly became one of the most popular mattresses on the market. Today, it is still just as popular as it was when it was first introduced. Backed by in-depth research and sleep trials, and constructed of high-quality materials, the Casper mattress truly delivers the comfort and support that is needed for a pain-free and restful night of sleep. Like the Nectar mattress, Casper has a universal feel, meaning that it is designed to meet the needs of the majority of sleepers, no matter what their weight is or what position they like to sleep in. Masterfully designed, expertly engineered and constructed with the highest standards possible, it’s no wonder why the Casper mattress is so popular.
Construction of Each Mattress
Before you buy a mattress, especially one that is shipped directly from the manufacturer, you want to make sure you have a firm understanding of its construction. Why? – Because of the materials used in a mattress and how it is built directly impact the amount of comfort and support that it will provide. Since the construction is so important, we have included an in-depth look at the construction of both the Nectar and Casper mattresses.
Construction of Nectar Mattress
Made of four layers of foam, the Nectar mattress is a total of 11 inches thick. Here’s a look at the actual construction of each layer of the mattress:
- First Layer: The first layer of the Nectar mattress is made of 1 inch of quilted memory foam, which is infused with cooling gel. The memory foam creates a nice hugging feeling that quickly conforms to the contours of the body, and the quilted effect adds to the softness of this layer of the mattress. The infusion of cooling gel helps to draw heat away from the body so that you will remain cool throughout the night.
- Second Layer: Next is a 1-inch layer of gel memory foam. This layer offers additional comfort and cooling for the mattress. It conforms to the contours of the body, which means that it provides support where it is needed the most. Just like the top layer, the cooling gel used in the second layer helps the mattress stay cool, which means that you will stay cool, too. Additionally, the open cell technology used to create this layer of the mattress provides improved air circulation, which further helps to keep the sleeping surface cool. Also, body weight is evenly distributed throughout this layer, which helps to prevent the buildup of pressure in the body, which in turn, helps to prevent the development of pain.
- Third Layer: This layer is made of 3 inches of Hi Core memory foam, which is a material that is unique to Nectar. This memory foam is specially engineered to avoid sinkage, which means that you won’t feel as if you are encased in the mattress, an issue that a lot of people report with memory foam. On top of that, the Hi Core memory foam contours to the body, which provides, even more, support and greater comfort.
- Fourth Layer: The final layer of the Nectar mattress is made of 6 inches of high-density support foam, which acts as the supportive foundation for the upper layers. It also provides pressure point relief, which further prevents that you will not develop any aches and pains. Extremely breathable, the high-density support foam actually circulates air through the mattress. The heat that is collected by the cooling gel is dispersed out of the mattress by this layer.
- The Cover. Encasing the entire mattress is a cover that is made of a combination of cotton and Tencel. The cotton adds softness and provides breathability, and the Tencel offers even more breathability. It also has resistive elements that help to prevent the bed from becoming infested with pests that can plague mattresses, such as bed bugs and dust mites.
Construction of Casper Mattress
The Casper mattress is comprised of four separate layers of foam materials, which come together to create a bed that is a total of 9.5 inches thick. The actual construction of the Casper mattress is as follows:
- First Layer: On the top of the Casper mattress is a 1.5-inch layer of synthetic Dunlop latex foam. This material is regarded for its cooling properties, as has very little heat retention and allows for excellent breathability. This is the layer of the mattress that allows it to remain so cool while you’re sleeping. The material also has a density of 3.3 pounds per cubic foot, which gives it a nice bounce, yet also supports the body.
- Second Layer: Next, there is a 1.5-inch layer of memory foam. This layer is primarily responsible for supporting the sleeper. It conforms to the shape of the body, providing the right amount of support where it is needed the most. It also helps to reduce pressure point build-up, which means that you won’t experience aches and pains like you would on a traditional mattress. This layer of the mattress has a density of 4.0 pounds per cubic foot.
- Third Layer: Next up is a 1.5-inch layer of poly foam. This layer helps to ease you into the base foam, which further increases the support that the mattress provides, as well as the comfort. This layer of the mattress has a density of 2.5 pounds per cubic foot.
- Fourth Layer: On the bottom of the Casper mattress is a 5-inch layer of poly foam. This is the layer that serves as the foundation for the entire mattress, supporting the upper three levels and helping the mattress retain its shape. It also offers additional support for the sleeper, as it eases pressure point build-up and provides deep compression support. This layer of poly foam has a density of 1.8 pounds per cubic foot.
- The Cover: Surrounding the entire mattress is a unique cover that is made of a combination of materials. The top part of the cover is made of 100 percent polyester, the side panels are made of a combination of polyester and polypropylene, and the bottom is made of a blend of rayon, aramid, and polyester. All of these materials combine to create a cover that is highly breathable, soft, and extremely durable.
Firmness and Support
Before you buy a mattress, you also want to make sure that you have an understanding of the type of firmness and support it will offer. Firmness impacts comfort, as well as support, and you definitely want to make sure that you are buying a mattress that will be as comfortable and supportive as possible.
Here’s a look at the firmness and support of the Nectar and Casper mattresses.
We use a firmness scale of 1 to 10 to help us determine how firm a mattress is. On this scale, 1 is the softest and 10 is the firmest. We give the Nectar mattress a rating of 6.5 – 7 in regard to firmness. It’s a little bit firmer than a neutral mattress, which we think helps to boost the support it offers. While we think most people will like the firmness, we do think that some may find it a bit too firm, especially those who are looking for something softer or who are on the lighter side.
In terms of comfort, we think that the Nectar mattress is great. It’s soft, yet supportive, and it really does help to reduce buildup in the pressure points. We also found that the cooling gel helped to keep the mattress a nice, even temperature and did not cause any overheating. Additionally, we were impressed by the minimal motion transfer that we experienced on the Nectar mattress. You won’t have to worry about feeling your partner move while you are sleeping.
On the same firmness scale of 1 to 10, we also give the Casper mattress a score of 6.5. It’s designed to offer a universal feel, and we think that most people will like the firmness; however, some may find it a bit too firm. In terms of support, we were also impressed. This mattress provides deep compression support, as well as pressure point relief. It also allows for proper spinal alignment, which means that you will develop less pain while you are sleeping – if you experience any pain at all.
Sleep Position Ratings
People sleep in different positions, which means that different support is needed in order to receive the most comfortable sleep in each position. Here’s a look at the ratings for the three most popular sleep positions – the back, the stomach and the side – for both the Nectar and the Casper mattress.
The 6.5 – 7 firmness level is something that we think back sleepers will enjoy. It won’t make you feel like you are trapped in the mattress, which is an issue that a lot of back sleepers have if a mattress is too soft. We also think that this mattress offers excellent support and reduces pressure point relief on the back.
Stomach sleepers should be very satisfied with the Nectar mattress, the quilted gel layer really helps to cushion and the second layer of memory foam is fantastic at dispersing weight and providing pressure relief.
Side sleepers will enjoy the quilted gel layer as well as the additional top layer of memory foam which will help to relieve pressure and align their spine without creating too much sinkage.
- Back Sleeping score: 9.5/10
- Stomach Sleeping score: 9.5/10
- Side Sleeping score: 9.5/10
We think this is a great mattress for back sleepers, as it offers excellent support and reduces pressure buildup, thereby reducing pain.
Many stomach sleepers should enjoy this mattress and will find it supportive and comfortable. We do think, however, there is a chance that some people who sleep on their stomach will find it too firm, especially the heavier user.
Many side sleepers will enjoy this mattress; however, some may find it too firm. However, it also keeps the spine properly aligned, thus reducing pressure point build-up.
- Back Sleeping score: 8.75/10
- Stomach Sleeping score: 8.75/10
- Side Sleeping score: 9/10
Nectar vs Casper: Price Comparison
|$500 - $900||365 night||Lifetime|
|$550 - $1,150||100 night||10 Year|
- Nectar offers a 365 night trial period, significantly longer than the industry standard of 100 days.
- Casper offers a 100 night trial period.
Warranty and Returns
- Nectar offers a lifetime guarantee, if there are any manufacturer defects within the first five years, you will receive a full replacement, free of charge. If there are defects experienced after the first five years, the mattress will be replaced, but there is a $100 transportation fee.
- Casper offers a 10-year limited warranty, which covers any deterioration of the mattress that is made visible by an indentation of more than 1 inch, and which is not caused by using the mattress on an insufficient base; construction defects that cause the foam to crack or split; defects the zipper system of the cover.
Nectar Mattress: Our Score
Below is our final score of the Nectar mattress based on multiple criteria that we use when testing all of our mattresses.
Casper Mattress: Our Score
Below is our final score of the Casper mattress based on multiple criteria that we use when testing all of our mattresses.
Which Mattress Should I Buy?
Both the Nectar and the Casper mattress provide tremendous comfort and support. They are both exceptional mattresses at affordable prices which will accommodate most consumers needs. Additionally, they both have the same firmness level and similar sleep position ratings. That being said, we do believe the Nectar mattress is a better choice for most consumers, the quilted gel layer, plus the additional thickness makes the mattress more appealing to a wider audience than the Casper mattress. It also performed significantly better on the individual sleep position tests. Overall, if you are looking for an affordable mattress which has the durability, comfort, and support the Nectar mattress will be the one for you.
For more information on the Nectar mattress, click here.