Last Updated: May 2017
The Sealy Baby Posturepedic crib mattress is one of the most advanced and bestselling innerspring crib mattresses on the market today. Sealy has more than 130 years of experience in creating the perfect mattress, and their experience certainly shines through in this product. It offers a number of features to keep your baby safe and comfortable, and to make a caregiver’s experience a simpler one.
Product Features and Specifications
- Materials: This is a classic innerspring mattress that offers up 220 adult-grade metal coils and four layers of antibacterial cushioning to keep your baby comfortable and safe.
- Sizes: It is a standard-size crib mattress at 51.5 inches long by 27 inches wide.
- Thickness: The mattress is five inches thick, so standard-size crib and toddler bed fitted sheets will fit nicely.
- Comfort: With plenty of support from the coils and four layers of cushioning, this mattress is comfortable, but not as firm as many of its counterparts.
- Durability: Sealy utilizes a full-perimeter steel bar to keep the sides firm, anti-sag weight distribution to prevent dips in the mattress surface, and lock-stitched binding to prevent tears and rips at the seams.
- Safety: This product is GREENGUARD GOLD certified, and it meets or exceeds safety standards including those for lead, phthalates, and flammability.
- Age and Weight Recommendations: Sealy recommends this product for babies and children from newborn to four years of age. It supports up to 60 pounds safely.
Pros and Cons
- The 220 adult-grade Posturetech coils offer the best durability and the best possible posture support – even for infants. These coils respond to baby’s movement and provide the correct support, regardless of his or her position.
- Four combined layers of cushioning keep your baby or toddler comfortable the whole night through.
- This product won Woman’s Choice awards in 2013 and 2014 as a “Best for Baby” category.
- It comes with a lifetime warranty on workmanship and materials.
- The cover is completely waterproof, antistatic, antibacterial, and enhanced with STAPH-GUARD for even better safety.
- It has steel-reinforced sides that allow the mattress to retain its original shape, even as your growing child sits on the edges.
- Natural airflow pockets allow the mattress breathability and keep your little one cool.
- The innerspring core does not offer the same level of support as memory foam.
- It is a bit heavy at about 14 pounds.
- Despite the fact that this particular mattress is marketed as safe for newborns, it is a bit softer than many parents would prefer due to the cushioned layers.
- This is not a dual-purpose mattress. Both sides offer the same level of firmness and support.
Sealy Baby Posturepedic Crib Mattress Review
Overall, while this is obviously a high-quality mattress, we feel that a firmer sleeping surface is necessary for newborns. This mattress offers a plush, cushiony experience that is best for older infants and children, not for newborn babies.
Overall, the Sealy Baby Posturepedic crib mattress receives great reviews from purchasers, and the majority are still pleased with their purchase even months down the line. Parents truly appreciate the attention to detail that Sealy provides with its lock-stitched binding and steel-reinforced edges that add to the product’s durability. A few even mentioned that it holds up to their rambunctious toddlers throughout the years.
However, many parents and caregivers were immediately concerned about the firmness of this mattress. Doctors recommend an extra-firm sleeping surface for newborns, and this product simply does not provide it. Reviewers note that this mattress has a “medium” firmness and that they did not feel safe putting their newborns to sleep on it. Nonetheless, these same reviewers noted that the product is absolutely perfect as a toddler bed mattress thanks to its safety standards and cushioning.
The waterproof shell is a nice addition, though some users noted that it split or tore after more than a year’s use. The majority of buyers state that an additional mattress cover may help to protect the surface. What’s more, many buyers noted that the mattress began to sag after a few months’ use, and that they could see indentations in the mattress where their infants’ heads would lie. For most users, simply flipping the mattress over resolved the issue.
Sealy Baby Posturepedic Crib Mattress: Our Verdict
Overall, while this is obviously a high-quality mattress, we feel that a firmer sleeping surface is necessary for newborns. This mattress offers a plush, cushiony experience that is best for older infants and children, not for newborn babies. Thus, if you are looking for baby’s first mattress, we recommend looking at other products that are firmer. On the other hand, if you want the absolute best innerspring mattress to put in your little one’s toddler bed, the Sealy Baby Posturepedic crib mattress is the perfect choice. It offers a great value for the price.
Where to buy?
You can purchase from Amazon right here.