Table of Contents
Last Updated: October 2017
Shopping for a new mattress is an event that is met with mixed emotions. On the one hand, you are extremely excited about the prospect of buying a new bed that will create a cozy and inviting space to enjoy a restful and rejuvenating night of sleep; however, on the other hand, the idea of testing out mattresses so you can find the perfect fit for you while being pressured by an over-excited salesperson who is trying to sell you on the most expensive mattress in the building (even though it may not even come close to what you are looking for) can make you start to feel hot around the color.
To avoid the stresses that are associated with shopping for a new mattress, we have put together a collection of buyer’s guides that highlight the best mattresses that are designed to cater to specific needs. In this buyer’s guide, we discuss the best firm mattresses that are currently available on the market.
There are several benefits associated with sleeping on a firm mattress. Some of the biggest advantages include:
- Exceptional support. There’s no such thing as too much support, but there is such a thing as too little support. A firm mattress offers an incredible amount of support for all points of your body, especially those who experience back, neck and shoulder pain and problems with their joints.
- Proper spinal alignment. Good posture is important, even when you are sleeping. If your spine is held in an awkward position while you are sleeping, you can bet that you are going to wake up with aches and pains. A firm mattress does a better job of keeping your spine aligned than softer mattresses.
- Better rest. It’s impossible to get good rest on a sagging mattress or one that is too soft. Why? – Because you are constantly trying to compensate for the lack of support. When you sleep on a firm mattress, you have more support, which means you can get better rest.
The mattress market is inundated with medium firmness mattresses, which can make it difficult to find a firmer mattress that will suit your needs. We’ve taken the liberty of doing all of the leg work for you and have tested out dozens of mattresses. Our assessment has allowed us to pinpoint the best firm mattresses that are currently available, and in this buyer’s guide, we share our recommendations with you.
*5 Star Rating: this is based on the percentage of consumers who rate the mattresses 10/10.
Tuft and Needle Mattress
There are tons of foam mattresses on the market, and many of them are comprised of several layers of different types of foam. The Tuft and Needles mattress is different from many of the other foam mattresses out there in that it only offers two layers, making it more simplistic in design. However, don’t let the simplicity fool you into thinking that the quality of the mattress is compromised because this is an exceptionally high-quality mattress.
The Tuft and Needles mattress features two separate layers of polyfoam and dense base support foam which combine to make a mattress that is a total of 10 inches thick. Here’s a more thorough breakdown of the construction of the mattress:
- The top layer – The top layer of the Tuft and Needles mattress is made of three inches of polyfoam. This highly durable material can hold 2.9 pounds per cubic foot and offers an incredible amount of comfort and support. This is the level of the mattress that gives it just enough give. The polyfoam also helps to keep the mattress cool, as it draws heat away from the body and circulates it through the mattress instead of trapping it on the top.
- The bottom layer – Supporting the upper layer is a bottom layer of 7 inches of super dense base support foam. This foam supports 1.8 pounds per cubic foot of weight and is the primary reason why the Tuft and Needles mattress is an ideal choice for people who enjoy a firm sleeping surface.
On a firmness scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being the softest, we rate the Tuft and Needles mattress a 6.5. It’s slightly firmer than a neutral mattress and provides an incredible amount of support.
Below is our final score of the Tuft and Needles mattress based on multiple criteria that we use when testing all of our mattresses.
With more than 15 years of experience in the mattress industry, the makers of the Nectar mattress really know what they are doing. The design of this mattress is backed by science, as well as sleep trials and testing, which has allowed them to create an exceptional product.
The Nectar mattress is made of four layers of the highest quality foam, which come together to create a mattress that is a total of 11 inches thick. The breakdown of each layer is as follows:
- The top layer – On the top of the Nectar mattress is a 1-inch layer of quilted gel memory foam. This layer provides the softness that you instantly feel when you lie on the mattress. It also draws heat away from the body, which helps to prevent the surface from heating up.
- The second layer – Next is a 1-inch layer of gel memory foam. The gel memory foam further helps to prevent overheating, as does the open cell technology that it is designed with.
- The third layer – The third layer of the Nectar mattress is made of 3 inches of hi core memory foam. This material prevents sinkage of the mattress so you won’t feel like you are being trapped. In other words, this is the layer that is primarily responsible for giving the Nectar mattress its firmness.
- The bottom layer – The final layer of this mattress is a 6-inch layer of high-density support foam. This material serves as the foundation for the upper layers. It also helps to provide deep compression support and pressure point relief and allows body weight to be evenly distributed throughout the mattress.
On a firmness scale of 1 to 10, we would give the Nectar mattress a score of 6.5 to 7.
Below is our final score of the Nectar mattress based on multiple criteria that we use when testing all of our mattresses.
The Leesa mattress is another excellent option for sleepers who are looking for a firmer mattress. This bed offers a unique design that offers a Universal Adaptive Feel, which the manufacturers of the Leesa coined. This Universal Adaptive Feel enables the mattress to adapt to all types and all sleep positions.
The Lessa mattress is made of three foam layers that combine to create a mattress that is a total of 10 inches thick. The breakdown of these layers is as follows:
- The top layer – On the top of the Leesa mattress is a two-inch layer of Avena foam. This foam is very similar to latex, but it is much cooler, offers more support and is much more durable. It is fairly firm, yet offers just enough give to prevent the mattress from being too hard.
- The middle layer – In the middle of this mattress is two inches of memory foam. This layer is designed to provide deep compression support and pressure relief. It helps to reduce pain and keeps the spine in proper alignment in all sleeping positions.
- The base layer – On the bottom of the Leesa mattress is six inches of high-density support foam. This is the foundation of the mattress and is supports the top and the middle layers. The high-density support foam is extremely breathable, which helps to keep the mattress cool. It also keeps the spine in proper alignment and supports the entire body.
On a firmness scale of 1 to 10, we would rate the Leesa mattress a 6.5. It is soft enough to be comfortable, yet firm enough so that you feel like you are truly being supported properly.
Below is our final score of the Leesa mattress based on multiple criteria that we use when testing all of our mattresses.
Another great choice for a firm mattress is the Saatva mattress. This mattress offers the perfect combination of softness and firmness, creating a truly comfortable sleeping surface.
The Saatva mattress is comprised of a total of 4 layers, which makes it a total of 14.5 inches thick. The four individual layers are as follows:
- The top layer – The first layer of this mattress is a Euro pillow top, which is responsible for providing the mattress with the initial plush feeling that you experience when you first lie on it. The pillow top creates a luxurious feeling that you will be sure to love.
- The second layer – Next is a layer of durable and dense memory foam. This is the layer that really allows you to feel the firmness that the mattress offers. The memory foam conforms to the body, yet doesn’t create too much of a hug that you feel like you are being sucked in. It also helps to relieve tension on the muscles and reduces pain.
- The third layer – This layer of the mattress consists of individually wrapped coils. These coils respond to the contours of your body, which allows the mattress to provide you with the proper amount of support and pressure point relief that you need to receive a restful night of sleep.
- The base layer – Finally, there is a layer of tempered steel support coils at the bottom of the mattress. These coils enhance the durability of the mattress and give it some extra bounce.
On a firmness scale of 1 to 10, we would award the Saatva mattress a score of 6.5 to 7.
Below is our final score of the Saatva mattress based on multiple criteria that we use when testing all of our mattresses.
Loom and Leaf Mattress
Another option that we recommend for people who are looking for a firm mattress is the Loom and Leaf. Standing at 12 inches thick, this mattress is a tad bit thicker than most standard mattresses. This added thickness helps to provide great deep compression support and improved comfort.
The Loom and Leaf mattress is made of four separate layers, which include conforming gel foam, Visco elastic memory foam, a transition loft pad and high-density foam. The breakdown of the four layers of the mattress is as follows:
- The top layer – On the top of this mattress is a layer of two inches of conforming cooling gel memory foam. This layer is a mixture of memory foam that is infused with cooling gel. This material creates a firm cradling feeling and also helps to pull heat away from the body to keep the mattress cool.
- The second layer – Next is a 2.5-inch layer of Visco-elastic memory foam. This is layer provides deep compression support and conforms to the unique contours of your body.
- The third layer – A two-inch transition loft pad enables the first two layers of the mattress to work together with the base layer. It enhances the comfort of the mattress, allowing it to provide more support and improved contouring.
- The base layer – The base of this mattress is made of 5.5 inches of high-density foundational foam. This highly durable material is extremely supportive and improves the comfort and support of the mattress.
On a scale of 1 to 10, we would rate the Loom and Leaf mattress a 6.5 to 7.
Below is our final score of the Loom and Leaf mattress based on multiple criteria that we use when testing all of our mattresses.
Last but not least is the Novosbed. This mattress is made of three layers that create a thickness of 11 inches. The Novosbed is offered in three different firmness ranges, including soft, medium and firm. If you are looking for a firm mattress, we suggest the firm option, as this is one of the firmest mattresses that we have tested. In fact, on a scale of 1 to 10, we would rate this mattress and 8.5.
- The top layer – On top is a two-inch layer of Airflow memory foam. This material pulls heat away from the body and makes the mattress very breathable. It also provides pressure point relief and contouring support.
- The middle layer – In the middle of this mattress is 2 inches of ultra dense memory foam. It provides a balanced level of support and deep compression support. It also gives the mattress its firm feeling.
- The bottom layer – On the bottom of this mattress is 7 inches of support foam, which supports the top two layers of the mattress and lets you enjoy the comfort and support that both of these layers provide.
Below is our final score of the Novosbed mattress based on multiple criteria that we use when testing all of our mattresses.