Last Updated: January 2018
If you share a bed with someone, it’s imperative that you choose the right mattress that will work for both of your needs. Without the right mattress, one – or both – of you could end up tossing and turning throughout the night. Buying a mattress for a couple may seem like a simple task at first; however, once you start shopping, you will soon realize what a difficult task it can be.
You like a firm sleeping surface and your partner likes a softer surface; you are heavier than your partner; you sleep in different positions, or perhaps feeling the movement from your partner (or your partner feeling the movement from you) causes sleep disruptions. With so many issues that couples can experience when shopping for a mattress, finding the best option can be really daunting.
So, how do you find the best mattress for you and your partner? By reading this buyer’s guide, of course! We have tested out countless mattresses and we have found what we consider to be the best mattresses for couples. What makes the mattresses we selected so special is that they each one addresses the issues that couples often experience when it comes to sharing a bed.
If you and your partner are looking for a more restful and rejuvenating night of sleep than you are definitely going to want to consider one of the mattresses features in our buyer’s guide.
*5 Star Rating: this is based on the percentage of consumers who rate the mattresses 10/10.
Hands down, we think that the Helix mattress is the best option or couples. Why? – Because the makers of this mattress have really considered the issues that couples face when they share a bed and they have designed a mattress that will truly allow each person to receive the proper amount of support and comfort for their sleeping preferences.
The Helix mattress boasts four layers of the highest quality materials, including the cutting-edge Helix Dynamic foam, poly foam, individually covered micro coils and latex. In order to ensure couples get the best mattress possible, Helix has you fill out a questionnaire prior to ordering the bed. This questionnaire asks specific questions that pertain to both you and your partner’s sleeping preference, including:
- Each person’s body weight
- Each person’s favored sleep position
- Each person’s preferred firmness
The answers to these and other questions are then used by Helix to handcraft the ideal mattress that will cater to the specific needs of you and your partner.
As previously mentioned, the Helix mattress offers four separate layers, which include:
- 5 inches of pocketed innerspring coils
- 2 inches of high-grade Dunlop latex
- 2 inches of Helix Dynamic foam and polyfoam
- 4 inches of Helix Dynamic foam and polyfoam
The makers determine where each material will be placed in the mattress to ensure that it suits the needs of you and your sleeping partner. No matter what your sleeping preferences are, the Helix mattress will provide you and your partner with the proper support, pain relief, firmness, coolness and reduced motion transfer so that you can get the best night of sleep possible.
Below is our final score of the Helix mattress based on multiple criteria that we use when testing all of our mattresses.
We also think that the Purple mattress is an ideal choice for couples. This mattress features the most cutting-edge materials, including the Smart Comfort grid, which is made of hyperelastic polymer. This material collapses when it is exposed to a certain amount of pressure. The hyperelastic polymer is what makes the Purple mattress such a great choice for couples because it adjusts to each person’s individual weight and responds to the pressure that it applied to it.
The Purple mattress consists of three separate layers, which combine to create a bed that is a total of 9.5 inches thick. The breakdown of each layer is as follows:
- The top layer – The first layer of this mattress is made of 2 inches of hyperelastic polyfoam, which is what makes the mattress truly one of a kind. This material is extremely breathable and retains absolutely no heat. It also works to relieve pressure points and keeps the spine in proper alignment. This material is laid out in a smart grid design and truly responds to the pressure that it applied to it.
- The middle layer – In the middle of the Purple mattress is 3.5 inches of polyurethane foam. It works with the top layer of the mattress, serving as a transitional support layer to the bottom layer of the mattress. It also provides deep compression support and distributes weight evenly throughout the mattress.
- The bottom layer – On the bottom of the Purple mattress is 4 inches of polyurethane foam. This layer works with both the top and the middle layers, serving as the base of the mattress and providing a firm foundation, which allows you to really enjoy the comfort that the Purple mattress is designed to offer.
Below is our final score of the Purple mattress based on multiple criteria that we use when testing all of our mattresses.
Another fantastic mattress choice for couples is the Leesa mattress. Though this bed is designed to offer a universal feel, it is actually built to conform to the individual needs of sleepers, including two people who share a bed.
The Leesa mattress is made of three separate layers of foam, including Avena foam, contouring memory foam and high-density support foam. These three layers combine to create a mattress that is a total of 10 inches thick. The breakdown of these layers is as follows:
- The top layer – The first layer of the Leesa mattress is comprised of 2 inches of Avena foam. This foam is very similar to latex, as it provides exceptional cooling qualities and it also offers great bounce and comfort. This layer of the mattress has holes throughout out, which allows for maximum breathability. It also helps to prevent motion transfer, an issue that many couples who share a bed experience.
- The middle layer – In the middle of the Leesa mattress is 2 inches of memory foam, which gives the sleeper deep compression support and provides pressure relief. The memory foam responds to the weight and pressure that is applied to it, giving each individual sleeper a customized sleeping experience. It also provides comfort, support and spinal alignment for all sleeping positions, so if you and your partner sleep in different positions, you can still expect to enjoy the same level of cradling support and comfort.
- The bottom layer – The final layer of the Leesa mattress is made of 6 inches of high-density support foam, which serves as the foundational base for the upper two layers. It ensures that the mattress will provide a great level of support, further absorbs motion and keeps pulls heat away from the surface of the mattress, too.
Since the Leesa mattress does an excellent job of reducing motion transfer and because it responds to the pressure and weight that is placed on it by each individual, it is an ideal choice for couples.
Below is our final score of the Leesa mattress based on multiple criteria that we use when testing all of our mattresses.
We also selected the Saatva mattress as one of the top choices for couples. This mattress offers a soft surface to sleep on, yet the support it provides is not compromised by the plush feel that the mattress offers.
Made of a total of 4 separate layers, the Saatva mattress is a total of 14.5 inches thick. Here’s a look at the 4 individual layers of this mattress:
- The top layer – On the top of the Saatva mattress is a Euro pillow top. This is the layer of the mattress that provides the initial feeling of softness. It also gives the mattress a luxurious and super plush feeling.
- The second layer – Made of high-quality memory foam, the second layer of the Saatva mattress offers relief for pressure points and reduces strain and tension that is often an issue for sleepers. This memory foam conforms to individual body weight and pressure, ensuring that each person using the mattress will receive the proper amount of cradling support.
- The third layer – At the third layer of the Saatva mattress is individually wrapped coils. This layer responds to the unique contours of each individual’s contours, ensuring that you and your sleeping partner will receive the right amount of pressure relief and support.
- The base layer – On the base of the Saatva mattress is a layer of tempered steel support coils. This layer boosts the overall durability of the mattress and provides an extra bounce, which is ideal for couples would like to engage amorous activities on their mattress.
Because the materials used in the Saatva mattress are designed to correspond to the body weight and pressure that is applied to it, we think it is an excellent option for couples who are looking for a new bed.
Below is our final score of the Saatva mattress based on multiple criteria that we use when testing all of our mattresses.
Loom and Leaf Mattress
The Loom and Leaf mattress is designed by the makers of the Saatva mattress. It is made of only the highest quality materials, including conforming gel foam, Visco elastic memory foam, a transition loft pad and high-density foam. Each of these layers combine to create a mattress that is a total of 12 inches thick.
The four layers that are used in the Loom and Leaf mattress are broken down as follows:
- The top layer – On the top of the Loom and Leaf mattress is 2 inches of high-quality cooling gel. This material is infused with cooling gel, which pulls heat away from the body and prevents you from overheating, as it keeps your mattress cool throughout the night. There is also a cooling gel side panel on this mattress, which helps to provide further breathability and enhances the mattress’ cooling capabilities.
- The second layer – Next up is a layer of 2.5 inches of Visco elastic memory foam. This layer instantly responds to the individual pressure that is applied to it when you are sleeping. It truly conforms to your body, providing deep compression support.
- The third layer – The third layer of this mattress is made of 2 inches of transition loft pad. This is the layer that allows the top two layers to worth together, as it literally transitions to the comfort and support provided by this mattress.
- The base layer – On the base of the Loom and Leaf mattress is a layer of high-density foundational foam, which is a total of 5.5 inches thick. This support for each above layer allows you to really take advantage of the benefits that they provide, such as pressure relief. It also helps to reduce motion transfer so you and your sleeping partner can get a restful night of sleep.
Because the Loom and Leaf mattress conforms to individual bodies, we think it is a great choice for couples.
Below is our final score of the Loom and Leaf mattress based on multiple criteria that we use when testing all of our mattresses.
Another highly regarded name in the mattress industry is the Luxi. This mattress is specially designed that it will meet the needs of all sleepers, including couples. There are a total of four layers that are used in the mattress, which combine to create a bed that is 10 inches thick. What’s truly unique about this mattress is that the layers can be swapped to create a firm, medium or soft feeling.
The materials used in the Luxi mattress are as follows:
- 5 inches of Dunlop latex. This material is extremely breathable and helps to reduce heat retention and keep you feeling cool and refreshed. Additionally, this layer also provides the first level of comfort that you will experience.
- 1 inch of memory foam, which offers relief for pressure points.
- 5 inches of memory foam heads, which are designed to maximize compression, provide pressure relief and contour the sleeper at just the right spots. This is true for two sleepers who share the mattress, too.
- 5 inches of polyurethane foam. This material helps the mattress retain its shape and adds additional compression support.
The layers can be switched around, so we can’t pinpoint exactly how your mattress will be designed, but it will contain the above-mentioned materials.
Below is our final score of the Luxi mattress based on multiple criteria that we use when testing all of our mattresses.