Table of Contents
- 1 Best Mattress Topper recommendations
- 2 Best Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- 3 Mattress Topper: Buyer’s Guide
- 3.1 Mattress Toppers vs. Mattress Pads vs. Protectors vs. Encasements
- 3.2 Who should buy a mattress topper?
- 3.3 Types of Mattress Toppers
- 3.4 Best Mattress Toppers: Sleeping Positions
- 3.5 What type of mattress topper should you choose?
- 3.6 How to choose the best mattress topper?
- 3.7 Choosing the best mattress topper – what you should keep in mind?
- 3.8 Best Mattress Topper Reviews 2016 & 2017
- 3.9 1. Visco Elastic
- 3.10 2. Lucid Gel Infused
- 3.11 3. Sleep Joy Visc02 Ventilated
- 3.12 Health benefits
Last Updated: February 2017
What you need to know:
If you are looking for the best memory foam mattress topper, then use our in-depth buyer’s guide to help you find the best mattress topper to suit your needs.
- Most popular type of mattress topper
- Most effective at improving mattress comfort
- Available in various thicknesses and densities
- Initial odor
- Heat retention
- Quite Heavy
Thank you for visiting my website. I’ve done my best to provide you with the most in-depth consumer guide with honest and accurate information relating to the best memory foam mattress toppers currently on the market. A significant amount of time has been invested in providing you with this information, so I do hope you find it useful.
Memory foam mattress toppers are the most popular type of topper, with more user reviews for them than any other type of topper. We have analyzed over 25,000 user reviews for these products and found that 92% of owners were satisfied with their purchase. Many owners say that the one which they selected is extremely comfortable, supportive and provides relief from pain.
#1 Memory Foam Mattress Topper: While we would love for you to read our entire buyers guide, I appreciate you may not have the time. If you are looking for the best memory foam mattress topper, then allow us to tell you right now that 99% of consumers will be thrilled with the ‘Sleep Innovations 4 Inch Dual Layer Topper.”
Best Mattress Topper recommendations
We are constantly updating this page with our latest recommendations of the best mattress toppers to purchase in 2017. We analyze the best performing mattress topper brands and specific mattress topper products, covering the best sellers, up and coming as well as new to market brands and products.
Best Memory Foam Mattress Toppers in 2017
The table below rates and compares memory foam mattress toppers based on thickness, density, durability, initial odor, heat retention, reviews, popularity, and warranty.
#1 Most Recommend – Linenspa 2inch
Owners of the Linenspa also highlighted that it retains body heat, which we believe is a significant added benefit. However, the main complaint about them is that they often have an unpleasant odor when new. However, most owners say this goes away within a few days of use. However, the Linespa 2″ Ventilated mattress topper offers superior comfort and pressure relief, combined with a three-year warranty.
Best Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper
If you sleep quite hot then you should definitely opt for a gel infused memory foam mattress topper, the layer of gel will help to regulate your sleeping temperature whilst also providing improved airflow.
Hot Sleepers – Linenspa Lucid Gel
If you are quite a hot sleeper, then you may prefer a topper which is infused with a gel, designed to spread heat and improve the airflow such as the Linenspa Lucid Gel. Many owners agree that this does not make them too warm and that it ticks all of the correct boxes in regards to comfort and pain reduction. However, the Lucid Gel does get more complaints of an initial odor than the Serta Ultimate and Linenspa 2″.
Here are a few of the Lucid Gel features:
- 2″ Lucid Gel gel-infused memory foam captures and distributes heat.
- Ventilated to increase air flow and regulate sleeping temperature.
- Super-soft, removable bamboo cover.
- Open-cell technology prevents lasting body impressions.
- 3-Year warranty.
February 2017 Memory Foam Mattress Topper Deals
Each month we update this section with the best recommendations within various price brackets and also include the best deals currently on the market, check out below for this month’s recommendations!
Our most affordable memory foam mattress topper
The least expensive is the Memory Foam Solutions 3 inch thick, 4-pound density topper which has 87% 5-star rating. This topper has high marks for comfort and pain relief; however, owners are divided over the issue of odor. Half of the owners say there is a very little initial odor, whereas the other half complain that the odor is significant and very slowly dissipates. The pad also gets durability complaints with several users suggesting that the foam disappears within a few months of use.
These are just a few of the features of the Memory Foam Solutions topper:
- Instantly makes any mattress more restful, comfortable and supportive in sagging areas of the mattress.
- 3-Inch of extra supportive 5-Pounds memory foam conforms to your body perfectly.
- Made in the USA.
- Memory foam reduces pressure points that cause you to toss and turn, so you sleep better.
- Topper features a 5-pound density and the famous gel-like feel.
Mattress Topper: Buyer’s Guide
Mattress Toppers vs. Mattress Pads vs. Protectors vs. Encasements
The consumer market for products which fit over the top of a mattress is inundated with products which call themselves toppers, pads, protectors and encasements and when shopping this can become extremely confusing and stressful trying to differentiate and understand which products you should be looking for. We’re here to help!
These are typically the most expensive of the four and offer significant advantages as well as providing additional unique benefits. They are also more durable and include a wider range of options for materials many of which are higher quality than it’s peers. These typically come in thicknesses of 2 inches – 5 inches.
These are typically the cheaper alternative to a mattress topper and do not offer the consumer the pain relief, support and comfort that a mattress topper would provide, at least not in the long term. Usually, a thinner alternative, compared to a mattress toppers.
These are completely different a mattress protector is simply there to protect the mattress, adding no benefits for the consumer in the way of comfort, support or pain relief. They can help protect the mattress and they also come in waterproof and hypoallergenic choices, you can read more about the best mattress protectors right here.
A mattress encasement is a popular choice for those looking to protect their mattresses from bed bugs, quite often these products are used in the holiday industry for use in hotels and lodges.
Who should buy a mattress topper?
If any of the below reasons relate to you then you must purchase a mattress topper, you can use the table above and the information below to make sure you choose the right one for your needs.
- If you experience back ache when you wake up in the morning
- If you have a stiff neck when you wake up in the morning
- If your arms feel numb while you sleep
- If your bed feels uncomfortable when you sleep
- If your mattress is too firm
- If you have medical conditions such as back pain & arthritis
- If you feel fatigued in the morning and have a restless night’s sleep
Types of Mattress Toppers
The most popular type of mattress topper and with good reason, memory foam has many beneficial values due to its unique properties. The material is called Polyurethane and this is a specially formulated material which is formed by reacting a polyol with a diisocyanate or polymeric isocyanate, now I won’t pretend to know the chemistry behind this but it’s extremely interesting and if you want to read more about how it’s made then read this.
Memory Foam helps conform to the bodies natural contours, whilst also alleviating pain and managing airflow and heat retention. You can also manufacture various densities of memory foam, each of which reacts differently to weight which allows companies to create mattress toppers in various thicknesses for different consumer needs.
Latex has become increasingly popular, especially since it has been used alongside memory foam to create hybrid products which take the properties of memory foam and by adding a layer of latex improve the benefits for consumers. This material is quite similar to memory foam, however, since it lacks some of the main properties when used together they are fantastic.
This material is made from either natural or synthetic rubber and it offers fantastic benefits to reducing heat retention and air flow. It is an extremely comfortable material and very soft and resistant to mold and dust mites.
Feather & Down
Best Mattress Toppers: Sleeping Positions
What type of mattress topper should you choose?
How to choose the best mattress topper?
Selecting the topper requires careful consideration, you need to consider a variety of factors we have broken these down below.
They come in varying densities; this is a detail which you cannot ignore as the denser the topper, the higher the price, but this is for good reason. Higher density mattress toppers will provide more comfort by balancing out your body weight, helping to reduce pressure points when you sleep. A higher density mattress topper also provides added mattress protection.
You must consider the size of your mattress and ensure that the mattress topper covers every dimension. They come in the following sizes – Full, California, King, Queen & Twin. Be sure to purchase the correct size as this will prevent your bed from feeling uneven.
The thickness of the topper will depend on the position that you sleep in. Many of the best memory foam mattress toppers vary in thickness, and you need to ensure that the one you choose enhances your comfort when sleeping.
- Stomach sleepers – If you sleep on your stomach then a 2-inch topper will be a good choice for you.
- Back or side sleepers – If you sleep on your back or your side, then a 3-inch topper will help to enhance your comfort. Read more about the best mattresses for side sleepers right here.
As a general guideline, the following may help:
2-inch memory foam toppers
- Helps relieve your body with medium pressure while you sleep.
- The comfort is rated as 3 out of 5.
- If you are small or below average body weight then this may be perfect for you.
- These are typically the most affordable.
3-inch memory foam toppers
- The most popular thickness that consumers purchase.
- The comfort level is above average with many consumers rating toppers in this category as 4 out of 5.
- Provides excellent pressure relief for back pain and joints.
4-inch memory foam toppers
- Most common for consumers who weigh over 250 pounds.
- Provides significantly larger support than the 2inch or 3-inch range.
- The most expensive option.
It is important that you choose one that is made from hypoallergenic materials as these do not have allergic reactions and also protects against body oils and dead skin which can penetrate the topper.
When purchasing, always ensure you check the products warranty. Most come with an extended warranty period, and this will give you a guarantee that the manufacturer and retailer have confidence in the product they are manufacturing and selling.
Memory Foam Toppers: Initial Odor & Off Gassing
As we have previously discussed once you purchase and unwrap your brand new memory foam mattress topper it is highly likely that it will produce gas, this is called off-gassing and is perfectly normal. The reason that they gas is that of the chemicals that are used throughout the manufacturing process. These gasses will only last for a few hours to a couple of days, with very rare cases of the gasses continuing for several weeks.
Choosing the best mattress topper – what you should keep in mind?
Best Mattress Topper Reviews 2016 & 2017
Below is our best mattress topper reviews based on the factors we have discussed above, each of these mattress toppers has been heavily tested by thousands of users and all have a rating of at least 4 out of 5.
1. Visco Elastic
It is hard to justify not purchasing this right now! With the overwhelming amount of positive reviews, the role that it plays, and the certification that comes with it, make this the perfect choice for anyone that wants to enjoy a good night’s sleep.
2. Lucid Gel Infused
The Lucid gel infused is a great choice for people that are struggling with sleep and are having issues when waking up. It provides the comfort and support that you need, without the headaches that others come with.
3. Sleep Joy Visc02 Ventilated
The Sleep Joy is designed to give the user a good night’s sleep, relieve joint, back and neck pains, and provide the support needed to relieve the stress accumulated on the body’s pressure points.
You can read all of our reviews right here.
They come with a variety of health benefits, from the obvious pain relief that comes with the comfort and support that they provide. There are other less discussed benefits such as the protection against bed bugs as they cannot live or breed in the material. Similarly, Dust mites will not be able to live within the mattress topper either.
Also, be sure to check out:
- Our buyers guide on finding the best memory foam mattress.
- Our buyers guide on finding the best memory foam pillow.
- Our buyers guide on finding the best mattress for side sleepers & for back pain.
- Our buyers guide for finding the best crib mattress
- Our buyers guide for finding the best pillow for side sleepers.